Thursday, January 9, 2020

Welcome Jackie Lepeau!




We are so excited to welcome our new full-time librarian, Jackie Lepeau! 

Tell us a little about your background in libraries:
I started out as an elementary school librarian at my hometown in Lemoore, California. Then I was a youth services librarian for eight branches with the Fresno County Public Library (FCPL). I supported early literacy programs and developed early learning centers at FCPL.  I also created fun story times and programs--Dungeons and Dragons was a particularly popular event! 

Lastly, I was an adjunct librarian at two community colleges I attended as an undergrad: West Hills College, Lemoore and College of the Sequoias, Visalia (COS). At COS, I taught one-unit courses on information literacy (LIBR 101: College Research Strategies, LIBR 102: Internet Information Resources, LIBR 103: Evaluating Information Sources) and was an adviser for the COS Giant Book Club. The Club created campus-wide events, like poetry slams to celebrate Black History Month. 

What draws you to working with community college students?
I enjoy working at community colleges because I believe that I can make a true impact on the students that I meet on a daily basis. I see myself in each student, because I myself was in their shoes! I want to make the lives of students easier and more enjoyable. I think that the library and the library staff have a crucial and pivotal role in the lives of each and every student. 

My favorite book is: The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

Any other interesting details you may want to share?I enjoy board games and traveling. My BA is in Anthropology, so I took a trip last summer to the Democratic Republic of the Congo to help track and observe bonobos in the wild! Coolest celebrity event to happen to me: Having John Cleese ride with me in my Prius!

No comments:

Post a Comment